Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kudos to Conan

For the record, I'm not a big follower of Conan O'Brien.  I never watched him on the Tonight Show or before that.  But earlier this year when he lost that gig, I was curious.  With so much media coverage about the so-called-scandal involving Conan and Jay Leno and the shows they should or would host, I read plenty about the various goings on.  I even watched Conan's last Tonight Show on Hulu and, well, I was impressed.  I was especially impressed by what he said during his final monologue, so much so that the following quote made it into my kids' lunchboxes. (I'm big on lunchbox quotes!): 

"To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me.  I'll think about it for the rest of my life.  And all I ask of you is one thing, and I'm asking this particularly of young people...please do not be cynical.  I hate cynicism.  For the record, it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.  Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get.  But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
                                   --Conan O'Brien

No comments: