Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snow Rollers

Have you ever heard of snow rollers?  We hadn't until we woke up one February morning in 2003 and they were all over town.  From the little information we could gather, we learned that it takes the perfect combination of wind speed, temperature, and just the right kind of snow for them to form.  The wind picks up an edge of snow and rolls it across the ground.  The one pictured above shows the layers, like a cinnamon roll.  Chances are, we won't see them again in our lifetime.  Here are a few more pictures of this cool phenomenon:




Snow Rollers Everywhere!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Those are AwEsOmE!!!!!

Unknown said...

I remember that day - did it happen again? I'd never seen anything like it in all my life!

The Wisemans said...

I have never heard of such a thing!!! Crazy since I am from Illinois. lol