Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Library Elf

Does your library belong to Library Elf

At any given time, we have anywhere from 5-25 items checked out from our library.  I always get a little slip of paper showing what I have checked out, but I promptly lose or misplace the slip and would have no idea what we have out, let alone when each item is due, if it weren't for Library Elf.  It's a service that allows me to type in each of our library cards and then they e-mail me whenever:

  • something is due (within 3 days)
  • something is overdue
  • something has arrived from inter-library loan
 A partial screen shot of an e-mail reminder from Library Elf 

I'm telling you, this simple service has saved me so many times.  There's nothing like a reminder that a book or DVD is due that you didn't even remember you checked out.  With the 3 day advance notice, there's plenty of time to check under the couch or in bedrooms or backpacks.  I returned some things on Monday then Library Elf sent me an e-mail yesterday showing that one of the items was overdue.  With the heads up, I was able to call the library, confirm they had the item on their shelf, and get it taken off my card.

I don't know what it takes for a library to join the service, but if your library doesn't offer it, it is worth asking about.  We regularly frequent our library and this is just one less thing for me to worry about.  I love it!

2 comments:

rob said...

I also get an e-mail reminder whenever something is about to be due, or when a book I requested becomes available, but to the best of my knowledge my local library is not elf-powered.

Karey said...

Brilliant! I'm going to ask them about it next time I go to the library. I love the ability to check things out and I love it when my kids find things that interest them, but I always feel a load of stress about what we have out, when it's due and keeping track. So much so that I sometimes avoid the library. This would make life so much easier.