Friday, September 30, 2011

Rice 'n' Black Bean Bake

Here's a quick and easy recipe for a hearty snack or lunch, perfect for General Conference weekend.  I needed something in a pinch for one of Jeff's holiday work parties last year.  I rediscovered this recipe in the nick of time, quickly threw it together, and had people asking for the recipe.  The recipe comes from Quick Cooking Magazine (Jan/Feb 2000).  I've included my own minor modifications in italics.  If you try it, let me know what you think!

Rice 'n' Black Bean Bake
{Ready in 30 minutes or less}
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained  (I use 2 cans)
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 jar (8 oz.) picante sauce (I use 1 c. salsa)
2 cups cooked rice (I use 3 cups)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Corn or tortilla chips

In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients.  Stir in the rice, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese.  Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Serve with corn or tortilla chips.  (It's also good wrapped up in a tortilla.)

Enjoy!

No comments: