Thursday, May 9, 2013

Recipe: Copycat Girl Scout Samoas in 15 Minutes or Less

You know those delicious coconutty Samoas (sometimes called Caramel deLites) the Girl Scouts sell? Yes, we love them, but they are somewhat pricey and, let's face it, the Girl Scouts only sell them once a year. So...I came up with a super simple little copycat version that will do in a pinch. These are pretty tasty. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they are every bit as good as the real thing, but they come pretty close and you can keep the ingredients on hand in case of emergency. :) Jeff and the kids love them. I think they taste even better the next day - if they last that long!

Copycat Samoas or Caramel deLites
(makes about 30 cookies)
Only three ingredients:
One package Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies or store brand equivalent 
Kraft caramels (I used the caramel bits - way easier!)
Toasted coconut (I bought mine at a little store in Amish country, but you can toast your own if necessary)

1. Lay the cookies out, stripe side up, on wax paper.
2. Melt the caramel according to package directions. I used about half the package (approx. 5.5 oz.) and added 1 Tablespoon of water before melting for 30 seconds in the microwave.
3. Spoon or pipe caramel in a ring on each cookie. It does not have to be thick enough to cover the entire top, but you can use as much as you like.
4. Push each cookie, caramel side down, into the toasted coconut. This will smoosh the caramel out to cover the top.
5. Enjoy!

I put the melted caramel into a piping bag which made it super easy!




1 comment:

Karey said...

So clever. I think this may work it's way into family home evening lineup.