Wednesday, September 22, 2010

You'd never know

My friend Helen is amazing.  We met her when we lived in Columbus and we became friends over the last few years that we lived there, somewhere between 1997-2000.  She lives alone in the same house she's lived in for over 50 years.  She lost her husband only about 7 years into their marriage and raised three little girls by herself.  She is very independent and refined and she isn't afraid to try new things.  She and I correspond through e-mail (my Grandma didn't even e-mail) and she just dives in and handles whatever situation she finds herself in.  This may not sound all that extraordinary on the surface, but here's the amazing part:  Helen just turned 97 earlier this month!  Yep.  Ninety-Seven.  You'd never know.  She is a beautiful lady!

Helen and me, Nov. 2009 (I'm the one on the left)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

She does not look 97!! Really, honestly, I'd say she looks 80. That's amazing. I'm glad you have her in your life :)

Aaron & Nancy said...

That is so great you keep in touch with her. Missy, you are inspiring! I love your outlook on life. I was just looking through some of your posts and it's all so uplifting. I think I need to look out here everyday!