Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How To: Glass Etching

The kids have their last day of school tomorrow before Christmas break.  I've been busy making Christmas gifts for them to take to their teachers.  I usually make signs with vinyl lettering since that's always on hand and easy to personalize and it's still somewhat a novelty here in my corner of the world.  However, several of our teachers this year are teachers we've had once, twice, or even three times already.  I mean, how many vinyl signs does one teacher need?  A while back, I etched some glasses for our family.  Each of my kids got to pick out an animal they wanted on their glass with their name.  I love how they turned out so I decided to make a set of etched glasses for Sadie's Kindergarten teacher.  I thought I'd include a quick tutorial since they are so easy and super cute!

Here are the supplies you need:
  • glasses (I'm using two sizes - large for the Mom and Dad, small for the kids.  I picked these up at Target for about $2 for four glasses.)
  • vinyl cutouts or stickers, tape, etc.
  • glass etching cream (I use Armour Etch)
  • a paintbrush to distribute the etching cream.  I cut the top part off the bristles to make it easier to control.
  • rubber gloves
First, make sure your glasses are clean.  Then put the vinyl or stickers or tape on wherever you don't want it to be etched.

Next, use the paintbrush to distribute the etching cream to the open spaces that you want etched.  Follow the directions on the jar.  Be generous.  I like to paint it on and keep going over it for a couple of minutes, adding more etching cream as needed.  I find I get better coverage when I do this.  Let stand for 5 minutes. 

Then, while wearing the rubber gloves, rinse off the etching cream.  You don't want it to touch your skin.  Also, I use our plastic utility sink for this as the etching cream will apparently etch my porcelain sink.  I'm guessing stainless sinks are okay (?).

Finally, remove the vinyl or stickers.  The etching will show up best when the glass is dry.
Easy, cute and personal.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

How clever and cute! You are so creative :)