Sunday, March 27, 2011

Æbleskivers

When I was a little girl, I loved going to my cousins' house.  Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle Bill were pretty cool and always had the latest gadgets.  My siblings and I got along really well with their eight kids and we saw them fairly regularly.  When I think back to our time spent together, one thing stands out:  Aebleskivers - yummy little puff pancakes.  We may have only eaten them once or twice at their house, but it's one of my most vivid memories.

Several years ago I decided to introduce my kids to these yummy little morsels so I bought an aebleskiver pan and searched for a good recipe.  My kids loved them and I had visions of a new Sunday afternoon tradition.  Sadly, that didn't happen (they were kind of a pain to make) and the pan spends way too much time tucked away in the far recesses of my kitchen.  Any organizational guru would have told me to pitch it ages ago for how seldom it gets used.  I am not very sentimental, but the pan stays.

Lately I've been trying to make an extra effort to create positive memories for my kids.  I don't know what brought it to mind, but on the way home from church I decided that we should try aebleskivers again.  I used this recipe and whipped up a batch.  They weren't as big of a pain as I remember and, with one exception, they were a hit.  (You can't please everyone!) 

Suddenly, I have visions of a new Sunday afternoon tradition...




Most of us loved them. Sterling, not so much. (Love that face!)

No comments: