Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cilantro Ice

We love cilantro around here.  Unfortunately, whenever I buy it from the store, so much of it goes to waste! The recipe I buy it for usually calls for a small amount and then, despite my good intentions to use up the rest, all too often it ends up going bad and ending up in the trash.

The answer?  Cilantro ice! I tried this as an experiment 2 or 3 years ago and it works like a charm.

Step one:  Chop up a bunch or two of cilantro.

Step two:  Place 1-2 Tablespoons of the chopped cilantro into each well of an ice cube tray and add just enough water to cover.
Step three:  Freeze. When completely frozen, pop the ice cubes into a ziplock freezer bag and store in the freezer until you need them.

When you have a recipe that calls for cilantro, add a cube or two or three...  The cubes will thaw as the other ingredients are added and stirred.  As my kids would say, it's easy-peasy-rice-and-cheesy!  Enjoy! :)

4 comments:

Aaron & Nancy said...

I've seen these before, but haven't ever tried it. We also love cilantro and have the same problem using it up.

Greta said...

You are a GENIUS! Thanks for sharing!

Karey said...

Aren't you so clever! Do you think it would work with other spices like fresh basil? I usually have half my fresh herbs go to waste, too. I've got to try this.

missy said...

Karey,
I don't see why not! Freezing in water seems to preserve more of the flavor/texture than drying. :)