Thursday, February 16, 2012

Recipe: Peasant Bread

We're loving this recipe I came across for peasant bread. It's pretty quick and easy to throw together and it doesn't matter how it looks. Just break off a chunk, dip in butter or oil or balsamic vinegar and enjoy. Or eat it plain like we do - there's plenty of flavor from the italian seasoning and salt.

Peasant Bread

2 1/4 tsp. (1 package) yeast
1 T. sugar
4 c. flour 
2 c. warm water
2 tsp. salt
1 T. Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 425º.
Mix yeast, sugar, salt, and water until dissolved.  Add flour and Italian seasoning.  Mix with spoon.
Spray hands with non-stick cooking spray.  Divide dough into 2 balls and put on oiled/sprayed cookie sheet.  Cover with towel and let raise 20-30 minutes.
Pull in sides; brush top with melted butter.  Sprinkle with salt and Italian seasoning.  
Bake at 425º for 10 min; then bake at 375º for 15 min.
Dip in olive oil and balsamic vinegar garnished with grated Parmesan cheese.

(Recipe Source

3 comments:

Karey said...

This looks fantastic. I think I'll make it this weekend. And I'm feeling sorry for you that you haven't had See's for years. We may have to remedy that. And I'm with you. The marzipan is the best!

Anonymous said...

I copied your Peasant Bread recipe... looks really good... but what does it mean "pull in sides?"
Hopefully I'll get around to making it.

Did someone mention See's???

Orange Creams are the BEST!!!

missy said...

Mom,
I think it just means to tuck the dough under...or over? Just keep in mind it's not the prettiest bread so either way is fine. However, you do need an oven for this... Is yours still on the blink? You may have to come visit so I can make some for you. :) You're up for a trip to IL, aren't you?