Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Indexing and the 1940 U.S. Census



I love indexing! I spend some time almost everyday indexing old documents. I'm pretty much a nerd when it comes to fonts and handwriting so this is right up my alley.

In less than one month, the 1940 U.S. Census will be made available to the public and they are busy getting volunteers ready to help index this massive project. Last summer I was working on the 1930 U.S. Census and I loved it! I'm really looking forward to this upcoming adventure. (I wonder if I'll come across any of my grandparents!)

Click here if you want to get in on the fun!

If you don't want to help index the project but are interested in finding your ancestors, check out this video from the National Archives. It shows what they've been doing for the past 3 years to get the project ready for the public and tells what information you need to locate specific individuals once it is released:

No comments: