World for the price of three. For those who haven't heard of Holiday World, it's a huge amusement park located in Santa Claus, Indiana. (No, I am not making this up.) The park is laid out by holiday with rides to match the themes and the appropriate holiday music playing throughout each section. Nothing gets you in the spirit of things better than hearing "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" in August. Many of our favorite rides were in the 4th of July part of the park, a few others in Thanksgiving. Holiday World is about a three hour drive from here, which makes it a day trip for us.
We spent the day there yesterday. Here are some highlights of our trip:
- Beautiful weather! Mid-80's for the high. Overcast and breezy much of the day which made it a little chilly when wet (and we were wet a lot!) but we weren't complaining.
- Free parking, sunscreen, and soft drinks (gatorade and lemonade included). Yay!
- Awesome water park - Splashin' Safari - included in admission. We loved the new Mammoth ride!
- No lines! Because many Indiana schools are already in session and the weather was a little cooler, the park was not crowded at all. Sure there were plenty of people around, but we only waited in lines longer than 5 minutes for 3 rides. Most rides had no wait. On two of the rides, they let us stay on and ride again because no one was waiting in line.
- Dive! This is a new show within the park put on by professional divers. A couple of the kids weren't sure they would like it, but it was so cool!! Pretty impressive to watch someone dive off a tiny platform 80 feet off the ground.
- Closing time. Because this is the last week the park is open during weekdays and the number of visitors has decreased, they closed at 6:30 instead of the usual 8:30. Because everything was so accessible, we got to do everything we wanted and were ready to leave before the park closed. No regrets.
What we (I) didn't like:
- The Voyage. Rated the #1 roller coaster on the planet, I can say I've been on it...and I'll never go on it again! Yikes!!
It was a great day!