Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Jimmer Effect

I was reading an article last week that said that, according to the Social Security Administration, the most popular baby names in 2010 (and 2009) were Jacob and Isabella.  This is being called the Twilight Effect because those are characters in the popular Twilight books.  However, Utah and Idaho don't follow this trend.  For whatever reason, the most popular names in those states were William and Olivia. 

When my sister-in-law recently learned that she is having a boy, she sent an e-mail to the family asking for name suggestions.  I sent her a few, some serious and some not-so-serious.  She wrote back saying she was surprised that Jimmer wasn't at the top of my list.  I laughed and joked that I figured that would go without saying. 

Just like the Twilight gang has a strange effect on people (thankfully I'm not among them), I've seen my share of people completely taken with Jimmer.  We definitely had Jimmer fever here!  So, when we learn the most popular baby names for 2011, I won't be a bit surprised if - at least for Utah and Idaho - Jimmer is on the list! 

No comments: