Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Day of School

I’m not sure I’m ever ready for school to start and this morning was no exception.  Jeff left for Boston early this morning so I got to do the first day of school routine by myself.  It could have been worse.  The kids were up early and cooperative for the most part.  We had our share of first-day-jitters and even a few tears, but they all made it to their buses on time and looked relatively happy to finally be getting this show on the road.

The hardest part for me was seeing my little Soren get on the bus for his first day of Kindergarten!! He’s my buddy and I like having hm around.  He was a little nervous, but Sterling assured me that he’d help Soren get off the bus at the right school and I know there are people to show them where to go from there.  I know he’ll be fine, but I still worry.  He’s so little and shy.  Sterling is excited for first grade and to be in a new school.  To look the part, he lost his front tooth yesterday afternoon so he’s sporting the typical 6 year old grin.  So cute!!  Sterling is the most confident among my boys so I worry a little less about him, but he’s got a lot of new things to look forward to this year and hopefully the transition will be smooth.  He’ll be going full-day for the first time and taking a lunch to school which he’s been eagerly anticipating.  They both got great teachers so I’m hopeful that it will be a good year.

As for the older kids, Spencer and Sam also attend new schools this year.  Spencer was worried that he might get lost, but Savannah will show him the ropes and I’m sure he’ll feel comfortable there in no time.  Savannah almost didn’t make it to her first day due to a case of strep throat, but with a shot of penicillin (despite BEGGING the doctor for pills), she’s feeling fine and looked so cute for her first day.  Sam is now in Middle School which is very different than what he’s used to.  We’re anxious to learn how it all works and to hear of his new adventures.  Today is only a half-day so they’ll all be home for lunch very soon.  I can’t wait!

So…  How did we spend our last day of Summer vacation?  Did we go swimming?  To St. Louis for the day?  Did we all sleep in and lay around watching movies and playing video games?  No!  We painted the deck of course!  Hee hee!!  Jeff and I figured we’d better get their help while we can so we donned our ugliest clothes and actually had a somewhat enjoyable time working together on a much needed project.  It looks great and we’re glad to have it done!





No comments: