Monday, October 4, 2010

A Fun Experiment

One of the kids came home from school a year or so ago and showed us this cool experiment.  Savannah remembered it last night and we loved seeing it again.  It's super easy. 

1.  Simply pour a little milk in a plate or pan. You don't need a lot; just enough to cover the bottom.  (If I remember correctly, the higher the fat content the better.  In other words, I'm not sure skim milk will work.)  

2.  Place a drop or two of food coloring in the milk.  (Last year we did it on a cookie sheet and I think we used one drop of each of the four colors.)  You don't need much and don't try to swirl it around.  

3.  Put a small amount of dish soap on one end of a cotton swab.

4.  Stick the cotton swab in the milk and watch the fireworks!  You can keep putting the cotton swab in different places - or have 2 or 3 cotton swabs going at once - and the fireworks will just keep going.  Have fun!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Looks fun! We'll have to try it when we have grandkids visiting.

BTW, dad showed us the worm trick (with a straw paper) Monday night when we went to a buffet with another couple!

missy said...

I'm sure the other couple were very impressed with Dad's worm trick. If I ever think to take my camera out to eat, I can blog that one, too. :)