Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hope

Finally, as of about 8:30 tonight, 33 Chilean miners who have been trapped 1/2 mile underground for 70 days are safe.  I've been riveted to my computer screen, with the rest of the world, watching their rescue.  It has been inspiring, to say the least.  We don't have cable television so I've watched it all through a live feed on msnbc.com which was without any anchor commentary. As it turns out, one doesn't need a translator to understand joy. 

In all I've read, I've had the overwhelming feeling that all efforts have been calculated to bring about the best possible outcome for these men, in or out of the mine.  I was impressed by what I read in one article a couple of weeks ago where they discussed what the men could and could not have in the mine while they awaited their rescue:  Movies and television were okay, but no dramas.  That would be "mental cruelty."  No iPods.  That would encourage isolation and "what they need is to be together."  Nothing was decided on a whim.  The well being of the group was of utmost importance. There were a lot of great lessons I learned from watching this unfold.  It's been a great day!!
Rescue Shaft
Rescue Capsule being lifted into place
The capsule leaving the mine
 
Giving credit where credit is due
Six rescuers - the only people left in the mine after a successful mission

No comments: