Thursday, October 14, 2010

Those pesky fruit flies

Brilliant!
What is it with the fruit flies this year?  Do you have more than usual, too?  Fortunately, we have far fewer now that we've implemented this trick I learned:  Simply place a glass with a little apple cider vinegar and a paper funnel in your windowsill or on the counter.  The fruit flies love it and then can't get out.  I usually carry the glass outside after a day or two and release the flies.  For a less humane way to dispose of the creatures, try adding a drop of dish soap.  It reduces the surface tension so they drown if they touch the vinegar.  Either way, it totally works.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I do that, too, except I put plastic wrap very tightly over the jar and then poke little holes with a pencil into the plastic wrap. The fruit flies get into the holes but they can't get back out. Awesome! And yes, even in Idaho we have more than usual. I HATE them!