Friday, June 24, 2011

The Good News About Strep Throat

Sam and Savannah during better days
Boy have we been sick around here!!  Sore throats, headaches, fevers, chills and fatigue top the list.  I took Sam and Savannah in to see the doctor today because, after 4 days, they weren't getting any better.  I figured they would receive a diagnosis similar to Sadie's last week.  She tested negative for strep, but the doctor gave her a prescription for oral antibiotics and she was better the next day.  I was pretty surprised when the doctor informed Sam and Savannah they would each be receiving a shot of penicillin to treat strep.

Savannah hates shots.  Hates them as in terrified.  I believe her exact words were, "I would rather take poop flavored medicine 500 times a day for a month than get a shot!"  But she was fighting a losing battle.  My doctor doesn't mess around with strep.  He gives a shot of long acting penicillin and then he knows he got it.  And, unless you're Savannah, that's the good news about strep.  No 10 days of taking pills three times a day.  No fighting kids to take their meds or wondering what to do when they forget.  One shot and you're done.

After Savannah bravely got her shot, one nurse said something like, "I let Trudy give that shot because she has the most experience.  I've only been a nurse for two days so I'll practice on Sam."  Sam's eyes got pretty big before the nurse laughed and admitted she's been a nurse for 20 years.  Add that to the doctor joking that it would hurt less for Savannah to get the shot in her bottom than her leg because her butt is so big...  (At 5'5" and 102 pounds, Savannah's butt is not very big!)  It was pretty enjoyable for a doctor visit.  Well, except for the shots. 

Jeff, Soren and I are coming down with something.  We may be visiting the doctor on Monday if it keeps getting worse.  I hope it's not strep...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not very funny for Friday you know!- kristin

Lori said...

I hope you all feel better really soon...so that you are "over the weather"!

missy said...

Kristin, I totally forgot about Friday Funny!
Lori, thanks for the well-wishes. We're hoping for dramatic improvements by morning! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the sickness at your house. Guess I'd better call to see how everyone is doing!

Tanya has strep too! Didn't think you guys have been together!

Mom

Ranger Tiff said...

Sorry to hear about all of the Strep around there! I used to get Strep throat every two weeks until they finally took my tonsils out. Hopefully it won't come to that there :-) Usually the shots do the trick!

Savannah:) said...

Hahahahaha..... my butt begs to differ. There is absolutely no "good news" about strep throat, mama.

However, if you're sticking to your position, I hope you DO have strep. Cause then you can get a shot, and you'll know you got it, and there's your "good news." :)

And that is probably the last time in my entire life I'll ever hear you say that my butt is not very big. So thanks very much. lol