Thursday, December 8, 2011

Recipe: Graham Cracker Toffee

Okay, so I'm not a huge fan (or even a little fan) of cold weather, but it does make me want to bake.  This yummy confection is super easy to throw together and it makes a lot.  I hope you love it as much as we do!

Graham Cracker Toffee
12 graham crackers, broken into quarters
Slivered almonds
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350º. Cover a cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) with graham cracker quarters and sprinkle with slivered almonds. Here's a little tip: If you have a silicone baking mat, use it. Otherwise, if you don't take your finished toffee off the cookie sheet early enough, it will be there permanently. I just got my mat and it has changed my life forever.  :)
In a saucepan, combine butter, margarine and sugar. (No, I don't know why it calls for butter AND margarine.  Would all butter work?  I don't see why not, but I've never tried.) Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Drizzle over graham crackers.  Bake at 350º for 7 minutes.  (If you do not have a silicone baking mat, remove from cookie sheet as soon as they are cool enough to handle.)  Separate the crackers, allow to cool completely and enjoy!

Toffee mixture drizzled over top, ready for oven.

All bubbly, just out of the oven.
 
The foam settles quickly.  Waiting until they are cool enough is the hardest part!


Coming soon:  Saltine Cracker Toffee!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't have a silicone baking mat, should you spray the cookie sheet with Pam?

Love,
Mom

missy said...

Mom,
The recipe doesn't say, but it wouldn't hurt. Or you could butter it. Good question! :)