Thursday, September 15, 2011

14 Years Ago

Dear Savannah,
     Fourteen years ago today, terrified, I walked into a hospital in Columbus, Ohio to give birth.  I'd gotten it into my head several months before that I was going to die during childbirth.  That is a long story for another day, but I was scared. I had my final meltdown the night before with instructions to your dad that if anything happened and there was a choice to save me or the baby, please save me.  Sam needed a mom.
     It was easy to make that decision then because I didn't know you.  I didn't know you would be a perfect baby girl, let alone grow up to be a beautiful and accomplished young woman.  I didn't know what a good friend you would be or how crazy and silly you would sometimes act.  I didn't know your little fingers would become so skilled at the piano or that your voice would sound like an angel.   I didn't know the friends that would pass through our door because they were drawn to your goodness or the boys you would talk about nonstop.  I didn't know that you would never be happy with age 13 and look forward for an entire year to your 14th birthday.  I didn't know that you'd come into my room at night and sit on the end of my bed and talk and laugh and refuse to leave even when your dad and I threatened to make-out if you didn't.  I didn't know that you'd be so grossed out when your dad and I hugged or kissed or otherwise acted like we like each other.  I didn't know that you'd work so hard to meet your goals or that you'd make such an impression on so many people.  I didn't know what a difference you would make in my life.
     I am so glad I didn't have to miss any of that.  I'm happy that I know you and that you are mine.  I can't imagine how different our lives would be without you.  I hope I never have to find out what that would be like.
     Happy Birthday, Savannah.  I hope 14 is your best year so far!

Love, Mom

4 comments:

Kristin and Jay said...

Happy Birthday Savannah! We all will be glad when this post about your parents and their public affection is forgotten, but we are glad it is your birthday! :)

Aaron & Nancy said...

I love my relationship with my oldest daughter, too. Your story about her anticipated delivery made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had your best birthday yet my sweet, beautiful, talented, smart Savannah.

Love and miss you,

Grandma M

hr said...

Holy cow, that foot is HUGE!!!